15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Spring Cosy Reading Night: TBR and Wrap-up

34
I've got more and more into the habit of watching BookTube videos while I'm getting ready or otherwise pottering about the house recently and one of my favourite channels is Lauren's,  Lauren and the Books.  I trust her recommendations because her reading tastes in the literary fiction world seem similar to mine and her book chats are so easy to watch.  Today's Cosy Reading Night (mission: get cosy and read) is the third that Lauren has hosted but the first one that I've been free for and I couldn't resist joining in.  Also, we've been out and about in the sunshine today so I haven't done much reading and I want to get some in before it's time to go back to work!

This evening's readathon will run from 7pm through to 10pm British Summer Time.

TBR


Usually I'm a one book at a time girl but I've been reading books in the All Souls trilogy by Deborah Harkness for what feels like FOREVER so I fancy reading a few different things now I'm done with the second instalment.  So on the reading pile, I have Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson because we recently watched the Netflix documentary 13th (which Stevenson was involved with) and want to read more about the topic.  On my Kindle, I have New World Fairy Tales by Cassandra Parkin because I want to try getting into short stories and Salt has never steered me wrong before.  Last up will be some of The Fourth Monkey by J. D. Barker because I want something fast-paced after dawdling through Harkness' slightly meandering writing and this one opens with this on page 2:
"Don't stop reading.  I need you to understand what I have done".
Consider me sold.  It's a proof copy of a murder mystery out in July and it sounds super creepy.  Hopefully not too creepy...maybe I'll actually read the non-fiction first, the creepy thriller second and then wrap up with some short stories so that I can actually sleep!

Alongside the books, I have some jasmine blossom tea that I'm hoping won't be too floral and a Jo Malone Peony & Blush Suede candle. The smell of peonies just warbles spring to me so I can't wait to snuggle up and feel the spring love.

I'll be updating on Twitter (@LitAddictedBrit). See you in a few hours for a wrap up!

Wrap-up

Well wrapping up in the evening didn't quite work out as I got completely wrapped up in my last book of the evening and headed off to bed to read some more!

I've never spent an evening and committed it to reading three different types of books and it was such a refreshing change.  Usually I'm a one book at a time kind of girl but by having three different "types" of books, I managed to use the time really productively and I had a fabulous time.

HOUR ONE (7.00pm - 8.00pm):  I started the Cosy Reading Night with Just Mercy and it was a great one to start on.  It's one I'm going to lend to Boyfriend when I'm done because although he won't read fiction, he will read good non-fiction and I feel as though I'm going to need to talk about this one.  I read 33 pages during the first hour.

HOUR TWO (8.00pm - 9.00pm):  The hour of The Fourth Monkey.  This book really took me by surprise!  It's about a serial killer who seems to have been found dead after having kidnapped his next victim.  The narrative is alternating between Detective Sam Porter and diary entries from the killer.  His diary entries are so unnerving but the writing of Porter's chapter is somehow quite light and witty and it's so easy to read.  I flew through about 58 pages during the hour and I'm hooked.

HOUR THREE (9.00pm - 10.00pm):  I'd thought about just sticking with The Fourth Monkey for the last hour as I was enjoying it so much but then I read a particularly haunting murderer diary entry and decided to go with something a little lighter!  I read the first short story of New World Fairy Tales by Cassandra Parkin, a set of short fairytale retellings.  I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this too, actually (pleasant theme for the evening!).  I don't read short stories very often but this collection is making me re-think that. It was nice to get to read a complete story and the writing was really impressive.  I've since read another one and it was another real winner so I'm excited to continue on.

And that was my reading night!  It was super nice to dedicate an evening to reading and to do something a little more with Sunday night than just faff about on my phone/read a bit/watch crappy TV and lament working full time!  I'll definitely try to join the Harry Potter themed night on 26 June, even if it is mid-week :)

Labels:

35 36 37 38