15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Bout of Books 15: Monday to Friday

34
Bout of Books

To give myself a fighting chance of getting some reading done, I'm going to keep my updates pretty simple.  This post will feature updates for Monday through to Friday.  

DAY 1:  Monday 4th January

Time spent listening to audiobook today: 1 hour 39 minutes of Yes Please by Amy Poehler
Pages Read today: 81 pages
Books Read From: Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
Totals so far: 1 hour 34 minutes spent listening to audiobook; 58 pages

Thoughts from Monday:  I am in *love* with Yes, Please.  I have the paperback and I've read some and it was funny but the audiobook is even better.  It features cameos from all sorts of comedians that Amy Poehler has worked with and it's extremely well put together.  On the reading front, I got home earlier than Boyfriend for a change and it was chilly so I curled up under a duvet and spent some time with Station Eleven.  I have to admit that I wasn't overly keen at first.  I struggled to connect with any of the characters and although I did think that the connections between the characters and how they were revealed were clever, I was struggling.  With the last 100 or so pages, though, I've really been getting into it.  I've got about a quarter left and I'm heading off to get to it!  Hope all of your Mondays are going superbly.

DAY 2:  Tuesday 5th January

Time spent listening to audiobook today: 1 hour 34 minutes of Yes Please by Amy Poehler
Pages Read today: 46 pages
Books Read From: Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel

Totals so far: 3 hours 13 minutes spent listening to audiobook; 127 pages
Books finished: 1 - Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel

Thoughts from Tuesday:  I'm writing this on Wednesday so that kind of tells you all you need to know about Tuesday, really!  I finished Station Eleven in the evening but other than that, I worked, I went spinning, I ate and I slept...Station Eleven had some clever moments but wasn't quite the new favourite I was hoping.

DAY 3:  Wednesday 6th Jauary

Time spent listening to audiobook today: 1 hour 34 minutes of Yes Please by Amy Poehler
Pages Read today: 31 pages
Books Read From: The Collector by John Fowles
Totals so far: 4 hours 47 minutes spent listening to audiobook; 158 pages
Books finished: 1 - Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel

Thoughts from Wednesday:  Ok, so not exactly a great day for reading! I'm arranging my little sister's hen do though and it's in about 8 weeks so I've spent the evening doing some organising and I'm so excited so it's worth sacrificing reading time :)  Amy Poehler is still going HILARIOUSLY, though, and I adore her and it.  I have managed to make a start on The Collector by John Fowles and so far, so creepy.  It's about a lonely man who collects butterflies and takes photographs whose life changes when he wins a fortune and he sees his chance to finally 'have' the woman he has been observing from afar.  It's so sinister and creepy but in a subtle way that makes it all the more disturbing.  I'm really enjoying it so far and at the moment, I'm glad I've taken a bit of a step outside of my comfort zone to try it.  We'll see how long that lasts...


DAY 4: Thursday 7th January

Time spent listening to audiobook today: 1 hour 38 minutes of Yes Please by Amy Poehler
Pages Read today: 25 pages
Books Read From: The Collector by John Fowles
Totals so far: 6 hours 25 minutes spent listening to audiobook; 183 pages
Books finished: 1 - Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel

Thoughts from Thursday:  Thursday was crazy busy at work and I got back home from the office at about 8.30pm.  After eating and spending a bit of time catching up with Boyfriend, that didn't leave a great deal of time (or energy) for reading.

DAY 5: Friday 8th January

Time spent listening to audiobook today: 20 minutes of Yes Please by Amy Poehler
Pages Read today: 34 pages
Books Read From: The Collector by John Fowles
Totals so far: 6 hours 45 minutes spent listening to audiobook; 217 pages
Books finished: 2 - Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel; Yes Please by Amy Poehler

Thoughts from Friday:  Friday was a little better at work and I made it to a Legs, Bums and Tums class over lunch (that my muscles are punishing me for now!).  It was my third gym trip this week so I'm keeping nicely to my 'fit in more exercise' resolution.  It's easy to get caught up in work and spend all day at my desk but making the effort to get out and do some exercise actually makes me more productive when I'm at my desk so it's definitely a change for the better.  Anyway, books!  I finished Yes Please, which is sad.  I loved it.  There were some anecdotes that I didn't necessarily "get" because they were about people I hadn't heard of but it was funny and charming and feminist without being curmudgeonly.  I've also really got into The Collector.  I don't want to talk about it too much because I'll definitely be writing a review when I'm done but it's just so darn clever and the writing is quirky and perfect.  I went to the pub with Boyfriend after work so we could catch up after a busy week so I didn't get much reading done but it was a good day all the same.

Labels:

35 36 37 38