I knew it had been a while since I'd posted about the things making me happy but I didn't realise quite how long. 4 months. Ridiculous behaviour! Let's rectify that...
1. New books. I haven't been on a book buying ban or anything this year but I haven't been buying books at the same pace that I have in previous years. I think perhaps because I've been vaguely conscious that in January, I separated 10 books from my pretty vast collection of unread books while they went into storage up in the attic pending us completing the fitting out of my "reading room" (Boyfriend prefers to call it a study but what does he know?). Out of those 10 books, I've read 3 and am in the process of reading a fourth. ANYway, the point of this is that my book buying has slowed. Recently though I've treated myself to a few Canongate titles and I'm so excited about all of them. Especially, The Crimson Petal and the White by Michael Faber, which has maybe the best opening paragraph ever:
"Watch your step. Keep your wits about you; you will need them. This city I am bringing you to is vast and intricate, and you have not been here before. You may imagine, from other stories you've read, that you know it well, but those stories flattered you, welcoming you as a friend, treating you as if you belonged. The truth is that you are an alien from another time and place altogether"
2. Writing about books. It's been too long since I sat down and tapped out some thoughts on books that I've been reading and listening to. Yesterday afternoon, though, with Boyfriend distracted by the PlayStation, I settled down with my Midori and wrote some mini reviews of some YA fantasy/dystopian audiobooks. It wasn't the most glowing post I've ever written but it was nice to just be writing about books.
3. My work. I am insanely busy on the run up to Christmas and have a workload that I think is actually better suited to three people. I'm shattered and I have a stinking cold but we're working on some really exciting and challenging projects that are reminding me just why I love my job.
4. CHRISTMAS. I love Christmas. We're putting our tree up this afternoon and nipping out to the local farm shop to put in our order for the ingredients for Christmas lunch (we're hosting my parents and Boyfriend's parents this year, which is a first that I'm really looking forward to). We have 18 bottles of prosecco in the garage chilling for the festive season and our village is looking twinkly and beautiful. I know it's still early for some people but I am so ready for it to be Christmas!
4. The Wheel of Time series. I'm re-reading the second in the series (The Great Hunt) at the moment and I adore it. It's been absolutely years since I read the series for the first time (15 of them, I think) and going back to the beginning of the story is just so much fun and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy
Share your happy with the group through Ellie at Lit Nerd! #sharethehappy