15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Bout of Books 11: Monday to Friday

34
Bout of Books

Here is where I'll keeping my daily updates until the weekend comes and I stand an outside chance of getting to post my musings a little bit more frequently.  My goals are hanging out here, if you fancy a nosey.

Monday 18 August

Time spent listening to audiobooks today:  2 hours and 7 minutes
Pages read today:  70 pages
Total time spent listening to audiobooks so far:  2 hours and 7 minutes
Total pages read so far:  70 pages
Books read from/listened to today:  The Golem and the Djinni by Helene Wecker; The Girl from the Well by Rin Chupeco
Books finished:  None yet...

Thoughts from Monday (at 20.18):  At about 10.00am, I was convinced that this would be the read-a-thon where I really nailed it.  I'd listened to my audiobooks while getting ready instead of the radio, I'd had a bit of quality book time in my car after I'd parked up and before I went into work, I'd brought my lunch and was all ready to get stuck in to posting an update while I ate it and I was almost certain that I'd get away from work at a decent time and would gt time to read this evening.  It didn't quite work out like that - I remembered that I had to go and pick up some dry cleaning and some other bits and pieces over lunch and then had some work that had to get done and then it was somehow 6.00pm and I was still at work :|  To be fair, I did manage to scarper not long after so that was a bonus and I've cooked and eaten a vegetable Thai curry with noodles with Boyfriend and now I'm ready to get settled in to The Girl from the Well before bedtime.  Actually, I'm a bit wary of reading it before bed because of all the serial-killer-murdering-ghost stuff but we'll brave it out and see how it goes...maybe I'll be so freaked out that I won't be able to sleep and will get it finished!  On the plus side, I'm travelling by train to a meeting for work tomorrow so that'll give me much more reading time than usual!  Onward and upward, friends!

Tuesday 19 August

Time spent listening to audiobooks today:  0 minutes
Pages read today:  (as at 9.22pm) 215 pages
Total time spent listening to audiobooks so far:  2 hours and 7 minutes
Total pages read so far:  285 pages
Books read from/listened to today:  The Girl from the Well by Rin Chupeco; Parasite by Mira Grant
Books finished:  The Girl from the Well by Rin Chupeco (3.5 stars)

Thoughts from Tuesday
10.11am: What a start to Day 2! Travelling this morning has given me an extra hour or so to whip through the end of The Girl from the Well. It was pretty unique as far as "YA" these days goes (I mean, seriously - a murderous ghost that brutalises serial killers and paedophiles is YA? Jeez...) and I was a huge fan of the Japanese culture that was the focus of the second half so it was good. Not my favourite book of the year but good. I have meetings all day but have Parasite by Mira Grant stowed away in my handbag for the return journey so I'm definitely looking forward to that! Hope your week has started out brilliantly :)

9.22pm: I got started on Parasite on my way home from a meeting this evening and I love it! It pretty much felt like I started it and then somehow I was 106 pages in and back in Leeds. The writing just works perfectly and the excerpts from scientific documents and articles at the beginnings of the chapters are...well, disturbing, actually, but otherwise just brilliant. So now I'm heading off to read some more! What are you all reading? Something awesome, I hope!


Wednesday 20 August

Time spent listening to audiobooks today:  2 hours and 3 minutes
Pages read today:  27 pages
Total time spent listening to audiobooks so far:  4 hours and 10 minutes
Total pages read so far:  312 pages
Books read from/listened to today:  Parasite by Mira Grant; The Golem and the Djinni by Helene Wecker
Books finished:  The Girl from the Well by Rin Chupeco (3.5 stars)

Thoughts from Wednesday:  The fact that I'm writing this on Thursday basically sums up Wednesday:  got up, drove to work (albeit with a book to keep me company), squeezed in a few pages before scuttling to the office, had a hectic day, drove home (again, book keeping me company, thank goodness), cooked, ate, revelled in the glory of chorizo, slumped down in a sofa with Parasite on my lap, got distracted watching an old episode of The Office (the UK version - we're reliving it) with Boyfriend, fell asleep.  Thursday can only be better!

Thursday 21 August

Time spent listening to audiobooks today:  57 minutes
Pages read today:  14 pages (whoops...)
Total time spent listening to audiobooks so far:  5 hours and 7 minutes
Total pages read so far:  326 pages
Books read from/listened to today:  The Golem and the Djinni by Helene Wecker; Parasite by Mira Grant; Blackbird House by Alice Hoffman
Books finished:  The Girl from the Well by Rin Chupeco (3.5 stars); The Golem and the Djinni by Helene Wecker (4 stars)

Thoughts from Thursday: 
1.14pm:  Second book down!  Admittedly I was already some way into the 19 hour and 43 minute delight that is the audiobook of The Golem and the Djinni by Helene Wecker but still - I've finished it :)  And it was truly brilliant.  I wasn't sure for the first quarter or so because it's quite slow and intricate but after that (and particularly in the last quarter where I was shouting at my phone in the car as I was listening), it was wonderful.  I'll review it more fully but you can safely assume that you can read it and that you will love it until I get to it.  This evening will belong to Blackbird House by Alice Hoffman (in the car) and Parasite by Mira Grant (in my bed, hiding from the autumnal weather)!


Friday:  Ok, so I *may* have climbed into bed at 9.00pm to escape the chilliness and read but *may* have gotten too comfy and fallen asleep...


Friday 22 August

Time spent listening to audiobooks today:  42 minutes
Pages read today:  30 pages
Total time spent listening to audiobooks so far:  5 hours and 49 minutes
Total pages read so far:  356 pages
Books read from/listened to today:  Parasite by Mira Grant; Blackbird House by Alice Hoffman
Books finished:  The Girl from the Well by Rin Chupeco (3.5 stars); The Golem and the Djinni by Helene Wecker (4 stars)


Thoughts from Friday:  My listening seems to be going a lot better than my actual reading!  Maybe that's because I don't really have a choice about driving to work so that hour and a half a day is pretty much banked to begin with.  Blackbird House isn't quite what I was expecting but I am enjoying it, I think.  It's seems to be a lot of short stories about people that all live in the same house over a couple of centuries.  They're all read by different narrators, though, which I like, even if it is a bit random so far.  I am in love with Parasite - I may or may not be going out for drinks this evening and if I'm not, I'm grabbing a glass of wine and curling up to read some more.  How are we all doing before the weekend comes and we can be free of pesky work demands?



Labels: ,

35 36 37 38