15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

The End of Year Reading Cram: Go, go, GO!

34
The End of the Year Read-a-thon is here! It was only a couple of weeks ago that I finally decided to tag along on this particular read-a-thon but I kind of feel like I've been waiting for it for ages.  I *really* like the sound of a couple of weeks of read-a-thoning before Christmas and the fact that it spans over a fortnight is handy. Sure, it also happens to fall before I've finished my Christmas shopping and on the fortnight that it is my current workplace's Christmas party (which rules out the Friday and probably the Saturday...:|) but I still feel as though I'll have plenty of time to get some quiet time before it's time for turkey, red wine and inebriated game playing at the Lit Addicted Brit household!

I'm not sure how many posts I'm going to break this down into but I'll try to keep from bombarding your readers too viciously.  I suppose we'll see how much I get written and go from there!

DAY 1: MONDAY 9th DECEMBER

Pages read today:  49 pages
Books read from today:  A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
Pages read so far:  49 pages
Books read so far:  I'm reading Dickens...this number could be '0' for quite some time yet, friends!

6.03pm:  I'm actually still at work at the moment but I was in dire need of a break from trying to get my head round a gnarly contract clause and remembered that I'd half-drafted this post over the weekend and that I could spend a few minutes waffling at you all before I had to go back to said gnarly contract clause.  It hasn't been a great day for reading yet but I've been at work since 8.00am so that's not necessarily unexpected...I did get back into Charles Dickens though after a weekend that I *may* have spent giggling at Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh.  I haven't really seen that much of her blog so most of the material was fresh to me.  Fresh and chuckle-inducing.  Getting back into A Tale of Two Cities wasn't as hard as I'd maybe thought it was going to be so I'm almost convinced that I'm "into it" now and it'll be plain sailing for hereon out.  See how brave I am, Dickens?  You can't scare me...

Day 2: TUESDAY 10th DECEMBER

Pages read today:  27 pages
Books read from today:  A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
Pages read so far:  76 pages
Books read so far: Dickens, remember?  0...

Yesterday was pretty much a write off.  A colleague spotted me on the train in the morning and wanted to make small talk so I got no reading done then and then I had a bit of travelling to and from a meeting but had some work emails to catch up on so I coudn't get much done.  And THEN (yes, the catalogue of excuses continues!), when I got home from work at 9.30pm, I fell asleep in front of an episode of Family Guy...

Day 3:  WEDNESDAY 11th DECEMBER

Pages read today: 71 pages
Books read from today: A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
Pages read so far: 147 pages
Books read so far: Ahem...0...
 
2.07pm:  I seemed to get into A Tale of Two Cities a lot more this morning and got through a bit more than normal while I was commuting.  I really am enjoying it now but it's getting frustrating only reading it in 20 page stints while I'm travelling.  I have a night in on Friday though while Boyfriend is doing festive drinks with his friends so I'm looking forward to getting something yummy to eat and sitting under a great big dressing gown and finally getting to enjoy more of it in a continuous period of time. I only have a few chapters until the end of this week's section so I might dig into something a little more festive this evening :)  I think maybe Christmas at the Cupcake Cafe by Jenny Colgan.  Because who doesn't love Christmas and cupcakes?!  OR I might go fantasy and read Cracked by Eliza Crewe because I've been dying to get to it for a while and I fancy something a little bit...erm...faster paced.

Day 4: THURSDAY 12th DECEMBER

Pages read today: 75 pages
Books read from today: A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens; Cracked by Eliza Crewe
Pages read so far: 222 pages
Books read so far: To be honest, I don't know why I keep including this category!

8.57am: A quick update before I go and get some work done but I finished this week's read-along reading of A Tale of Two Cities on my way into work this morning and thought that deserved a modest noting! Things are MUCH better now and there was a slight temptation to read on into Book 3 (next week's reading) but in the end I thought I'd spur my read-a-thon effort a little bit by starting Cracked by Eliza Crewe. I was expecting it to be good but it's much more...grown up than I thought it would be. It's quite dark and I don't think it could be any further away from the sophisticated fury of A Tale of Two Cities and I have high hopes!

Labels:

35 36 37 38