15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? #12

34
Join the fun at Book Journey
Well, this has been a strange Monday!  When we got up for this morning, it had clearly been snowing pretty heavily all night and our car was hidden under seven inches of snow.  How do I know this? Boyfriend measured it...yes, really.  After managing to get the car moving, it became apparent that it wasn't going to get very far.  Obviously then it decided that it wouldn't go back so I had to clamber out and attempt to push the car (in a suit, which, in case you were wondering, is not ideal car-pushing attire...) until a man on our street took pity on me and helped out! So I've had a snow day, which has been rather pleasant.  I mean, I've been working from home so it's not quite as exciting as when I was little but still.  SNOW DAY!

And yes, I know that you didn't stop by to read about snow.  You want to know about the books...

What have I been reading?

After the Bout of Books read-a-thon was over and I emerged to realise that I'd kicked the year off pretty darn well, I was kind of worried about a book hangover.  You know, where you've read a/some fabulous book(s) and you're just not sure that anything will live up to that so you ALMOST slump?  I was worried about that.  So I started The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller.  Oh my goodness, there were TEARS!  I loved it but will say no more until my review (which is proving a nightmare to write because of the aforementioned love).

Incidentally, it has recently occurred to me that since the start of 2013 I've read a Man Booker Prize shortlisted novel, a novel that won two awards that I haven't heard of (Governor General's Award for English Language Fiction and the Arthur C. Clarke Award, anyone?) and was nominated for three more, a Commonwealth Book Prize shortlisted novel and a winner of the Orange Prize for Fiction (now the Women's Prize for Fiction, apparently...).  Unintentionally, 2013 seems to be shaping up to be the year of prize nominees/winners!


What am I reading now?

I finally succumbed to all of the "there is a twist that you will not believe" bait lurking around on the blogosphere and bought Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.  As it turns out, the world did not lie and it is seriously compelling stuff.  I have no idea who I like, who I don't like, who is a big liar and who is telling the truth or what the heck is going on.  As thrillers go, it's really good.  One of those books that you pick up to just read a page or so of and then drag yourself away from about an hour later with no idea of where the time went.



What will I be reading next?

This is a tricky one (as always)!  So far this year, I've been sort of reading whatever I feel like whenever I finish a book.  I do *really* want to read Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel though.  I've been listening to lots of people telling me how great it is for years but since my Dad has been recently become the latest in that line of people, I am feeling swayed.  We shall see...




Your turn!  What have you been reading?  What are you reading right this very moment?  What are you reading next?  SHARE!  :)

Labels: ,

35 36 37 38