15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? #10

34

I knew that it had been quite a while since I've taken part in Book Journey's  Monday meme but when I just looked back to the last post to see which number I was on, it turned out that my last was actually JULY! How did that happen?!  Actually, it was partly because I didn't want to keep posting meme posts when I didn't have the time to post reviews but  still...July! 

Now that I'm actually getting some of those written and ready to be posted, I can join in "guilt-free" - HURRAH! 

Let's get on with the books :)

What have I been reading?

Don't worry - this isn't going to include everything that I've been reading since July! Actually, this week saw me finish...*drumroll*...my 50th book of 2012!  Ok, so by many of you bloggers' standards, that is small fry but for me, that's good going!  I think in 2010 and 2011 I pretty much averaged a book a week.  I wanted to increase that a little bit this year - job done! :)  The lucky 50th was The Gunslinger by Stephen King. It was...strange.  I am reliably informed that the series improves in later books and I liked some of it enough to soldier on but still, strange!  Before that I read the adorable Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan - a very cute little bundle of festive joy that I kind of wish I'd read nearer Christmas but enjoyed all the same.  Plus, it features some of the places that I recently visited in New York which had me getting over-excited in recognition.  I'm not the biggest contemporary romance fan but this had enough seasonal cheer to balance it out.

What am I reading now?

I'm taking a walk in the shoes of a conspiracy theorist and reading The Lincoln Conspiracy: A Novel by Timothy L. O'Brien.  It has a fairly unique style, which took some getting used to but now that I'm about a third of the way in, it's shaping up to be a good story.  I'll no doubt mention it in my review when the time comes but there's a lot of the use of the word ni**er - even though reading it as a modern reader is jarring, I can see that it's done to achieve a certain authenticity in tone.  Hopefully the second two-thirds will live up to the fairly strong start.

What will I be reading next?


I put together a little shortlist for the month in my November TBR Pile so I'll be getting stuck into that.  I think that first up will be The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood - it comes highly recommended by a LOT of people and I've never read anything by Atwood so I'm keen to get started.  I'm off on Wednesday too so I'm thinking that maybe I'll scoop up 0.4 by Mike Lancaster and hunker down for the day!  

All of that well-intentionally said, I'm already being lured away from my lovingly crafted TBR straight and narrow - Hanna has been bigging up 11.22.63 by Stephen King (writing the date that way round never gets easier!) today and I have it on my eReader all ready to go so the temptation is strong, people!  Either way, I know I'm in for a great start to November!



What books are brightening up this gloomy Monday for you, fellow readers?  Whatever it is, I hope it's fabulous!  Happy reading :) 

Labels: ,

35 36 37 38