15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

November TBR Pile

34
Given the mysterious silence that my blog has been labouring under recently, you'd be forgiven for believing that I had been buried under my November TBR pile, rather than just building it.  Fear not, friends, I have not suffered a book-squish-related injury (or any other injury, for that matter) and now I am back.  Happy days indeed!

I should say while we're settling back in that I love Winter.  Yes, it is rather chilly, kind of damp and I leave for work and arrive home in the dark BUT it can also be extremely pretty on those freezing cold but bright and clear days and offers plenty of excuses for hiding away from the world with a steaming cup of coffee, a blanket and a great book.  What better time to read some tremendous stories and get back into writing about them?

While catching up on my groaning Google Reader, I saw something to give me a perfect segue from not blogging to, you know, blogging: a November TBR pile!  I first spotted Ellie's and am excited about all the others that I'll get to pore over when the 1st November rolls around and it's time for other bloggers to post their reads for the next month as part of Jenn @ Booksessed's new(ish) meme!  I haven't tried having a monthly TBR pile before and actually quite like the idea of sifting through a few books rather than gaping at my shelves for hours trying to decide what I want to read :-/

I've been a little less than controlled when it has come to bookish acquisitions over recent weeks.  I finally read The Secret History by Donna Tartt and had completely forgotten how lovely it was to read fabulous adult fiction.  I think this year has been my "worst" year for being distracted by the shiny new YA books flashing in my face on many a blog.  As the year's gone on, I've become more and more Grumpy-Old-Woman-ish about teen narrators (as some upcoming reviews will demonstrate - you have been warned :-p).  Starting The Secret History was like a revelation.  Sumptuous writing, complex themes and multi-faceted characters.  As soon as I finished it, I went on a bit of a literary fiction buying spree, some of which will form the basis of my November TBR pile and some of which will probably pop up in December.

SO what have I picked out for November?

'Scuse the blurriness, please!

The Strange Affair of Spring-Heeled Jack by Mark Hodder - Music, drugs, anarchy, a mysterious Spring Heeled Jack committing violent crimes in a misty London, a disgraced scholar, an unsuccessful poet and werewolves all wrapped up in a beautiful green and gold package.  Need I say more?  I've had it for AGES and really want to get started already.

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley - I've been meaning to read this ever since I finished Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury earlier this year.  Part of my new "must read more adult fiction/classics" kick.

0.4 by Mike Lancaster - Ellie gave it a glowing review earlier in the year and ever since then I've been meaning to buy it.  I realise that this sort of flies in the face of my earlier "no more YA" comments but I think it's teenage girl narrators that I might have fallen out and this doesn't fall into that category so it's fine.  It sounds all mind-bendy so that'll be fun for a gloomy afternoon!

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood - Just because...well, because it's The Handmaid's Tale.

I also have a couple of review books that I'm really looking forward to and then these are the start to my Winter!

What do you think to my November selections?  Anything that should get bumped to the top/bottom of the list?  What will YOU be reading as the nights draw in and the super-woolly socks come out?

Labels: , ,

35 36 37 38