15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Frighftul Fall Read-A-Thon: My 'official' sign-up post (and some updates!)

34
I sort of covered this off yesterday but I wanted to post about Michelle's Frightful Fall again so that I could a) use her pretty picture and b) congratulate myself on my tremendous bravery at starting 'Dracula' by Bram Stoker.

Dracula is one of those books that I've hidden away from for years. When I was (about) 7, my family and I went on holiday to the France. I ran out of books so my dad took me to the library on the site where we were staying. For some reason that I still can't fathom, I chose Dracula and started reading it at the pace I read everything at that age (quickly...). That night I was plagued by nightmares of bats and scary vampires and for years (yes, literally!) slept with my window firmly closed. I read Matilda over and over for the rest of the week to cheer myself up. That stayed with me for years too, as my go-to comfort book! I realise that is all utterly incidental but I thought I'd blab on about why tackling this book is almost cathartic as an intro!

SO my plan for the Read-A-Thon is to take down Dracula. Then, I quite fancy reading The Turn of the Screw by Henry James, because it's been languishing on my eReader for long enough. And, if I make it through both of those without having a nervous episode, I'll have a scout around for either The Woman in Black by Susan Hill or The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson (which looks great, thanks for the recommendation Michelle! :) )

If you fancy joining in with some creepy giveaways and all round pre-Hallowe'en fun, head over to Castle Macabre sharpish!

Read-A-Thon update on 7 October 2011: Ah, annual leave how I love you! The past few days at work have been somewhat hectic and I've only managed to snatch the odd half-hour here or there! I'm 92 pages into Dracula and so far I'm not traumatised, which is nice! Anyway, today I'm off work for the day to use up some annual leave I had hanging around so I'm hoping to get some hardcore reading done! Hope all of you other read-a-thoners are having a great (if scary) time!

Labels:

35 36 37 38