Friday, 27 August 2010

Back on the Book Blogger Hop: 27-30 August 2010

I've missed out on the Book Blogger hop this past few weeks because I always manage to turn up too late to the party! But this week I've manouvered myself into a Friday night flying solo (pyjamas, a glass of red wine, a cheesy DVD and a good book? Yes please!) so I'm pleased to finally join in again!

If you're new to my blog, thank you so much for stopping by - I'm looking forward to returning the hop to all of your great blogs! If you're a return hopper, thank you to you too - you know I love you, right?

So this week's question on the Twitter-Friday-Follow-inspired book blog hop is:

Do you use a rating system for your reviews and if so, what is it and why?


So far I haven't used a rating system on my blog, which is strange because when I first started blogging I definitely wanted to. I was going to then go for a traditional 5 star rating system as a way of letting people know before they read my review what to expect, and I'm sure that is what I will still prefer when I get around to fixing this oversight. It think it also gives bloggers a way of organising reviews (and golly do I like things to be organised) and keeping track of trends and favourites. I've seen more complicated rating systems and I think they give readers a really detailed idea of what to expect from a book but I think that, when I implement a reviewing system, mine will be simple, simple, simple. For two reasons: I already over-analyse things without having to do so numerically; and, I'd like to demonstrate how much I liked the book while still leaving the detail to the review.

When I got to reviewing, I then just sort of bumbled along and the only rating I was doing was on LibraryThing. Actually, now my attention has been drawn to it, I should remedy this!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So what kind of systems do you prefer? The more complicated the better or simple all the way?

16 comments:

  1. Just hopping by to say, hi.
    Kelly Bookend Diaries
    http://bookenddiaries.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. found you thru the blog hop!
    You have a lovely blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thought I'd hop by. :]

    Love your review for Her Fearful Symmetry - I've been trying to decide if I should read it, because I really liked The Time Traveler's Wife, but I'm just not sure it's worth it.

    Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fellow Brit stopping by from the hop. Have a great weekend! A Trillian Books

    ReplyDelete
  5. A follower stopping by on the Hop! Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi to Kelly, TheBookGirl, Alissa and Trillian - I've been return hopping as fast as my bandwidth will carry me and you all have incredible blogs!

    Bev: Always lovely to see you - thanks for hopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You commented on my TBR list....I haven't even added the books on my TBR "Wish List" the books I don't own, and want, and want to read.....I'm hopeless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just wish I had the space for such an amazing list - my awe is thinly veiled jealousy! I thought I was bad but I pale in comparison so I shall feel much better in my book-lust now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. dropping by via the hop. :) You should stop by my blog sometime. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there!! I came back to check you out, loved it instantly and decided to give you an award. Visit my blog to find it. Have a great weekend!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just hopping by....

    Stop by my blog if you get a chance for reviews on I'd Know you Anywhere by Laura Lippman, Saving Cee Cee Honeycut by Beth Hoffman, and many others.

    Happy Hopping, Everyone....hop on over to my blog to see my answer to the rating question.

    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! I'm a new follower stopping by for the Hop. I look forward to coming back and reading more of your reviews.

    Hope you will stop by my blog An Avid Reader's Musings.

    ReplyDelete
  13. *waves* hello! loving the look of your blog! hopping on through and am now a follower :) I see your reading the study series! how're you liking them so far? Happy Reading!

    TheBookBluff

    ReplyDelete
  14. Greyz: Welcome to the Book Blogger Hop - I hope you enjoyed your first one - look forward to seeing you hopping around again!

    Sharyla: Thanks! :) That's so kind of you and very exciting! I love your blog too and am now a follower!

    JL: Glad you hopped by - your blog was great on my return hop!

    Kika: Thanks :) I really like the Study series so far - have been racing through the second one too! Your blog is awesome by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I tagged you as one of my favorite bloggers in a game of blog tag!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi there! I couldn't find your email address and I wanted to stop by and let you know about an important announcement over at the 101 Fantasy Reading Challenge blog. Here's the link, if you want to check it out: http://101fantasychallenge.blogspot.com/2010/09/important-announcement-possible-changes.html

    Your opinion is important to me!

    Best,
    Michelle
    Host of 101 Fantasy Reading Challenge

    ReplyDelete